With autumn upon us and winter just around the corner, many of you may be wondering how you can strengthen your immune system to prevent getting colds and flu in the months to come; other than getting the flu shot.
“Can Acupuncture and Reflexology strengthen the immune system?” I get this question regularly in my practise and the answer is YES, YES, YES!
How well your immune system functions will depend on the following factors:
- Emotional stress
- Sleep patterns and adequate sleep
- Environmental and occupational chemical exposure
- Biological state
In traditional Chinese Medicine theory, the first line of defence in the body is called the Wei Qi; also known as the Defensive Qi. This qi is energy that circulates just beneath your skin and regulates sweating and immunity. It is dependent on lung function and controls the opening and closing of the skin pores. It keeps pores closed preventing disease factors entering our bodies. A healthy balanced body has a strong and effective immune system.
To boost your immune system, you need to improve your defensive qi. How can you do that?
- Exercise daily
- Eat good quality food in appropriate quantities
- Sleep well and regularly
- Manage stress
- Manage your working hours
- Avoid unnecessary medication, smoking, excessive drinking and recreational drugs
- If you are prone to illness and disease, ensure that you take a supplement and a probiotic to make sure you get all the necessary vitamins and minerals to support your body
- Regular monthly acupuncture sessions support and strengthen the immune system. Scientific research shows that acupuncture increases the white blood cell count in the body allowing it to react swiftly and strongly to pathogenic factors. Studies have shown that the most favourable effect of acupuncture on the immune system appears 72 hours after a single treatment and persists for one month after the end of a complete treatment.
- Regular monthly reflexology is known to increase lymphatic drainage to remove toxic waste from the body as well as to strengthen the organs and reduce stress.
- Acupuncture and reflexology shortens the duration of illness if you are already sick.
Besides the common cold and flu, other conditions that indicate a poor or weakened immune system includes: allergies, chronic fatigue, environmental sensitivities, cold sores, chronic infections, swollen lymph nodes and even cancer.
For more information on how Acupuncture and Reflexology can help you improve your health and wellbeing, contact us for a complimentary consultation on 076 298 4992 or firstname.lastname@example.org or visit our website at www.cape-acupuncture.co.za.